Unoccupied Property

Many standard household policies restrict cover or even automatically cease cover when a property becomes unoccupied. This is because when claims occur in unoccupied buildings, they often go undetected and consequently could become much more costly than normal claims.  If you are responsible for an unoccupied property or vacant property it is important to keep it protected. 

The cover described below is provided by PIB Unoccupied Property as a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is part of the PIB Group.

PIB Unoccupied Property insurance is aimed at 

  • Probate solicitors / Deputies / Attorneys / Surveyors / Conveyancers – our scheme is endorsed by the Law Society of England and Wales
  • Anyone with the responsibility for property under a sale, or purchase and/or any other legally binding agreement where there is a period of unoccupancy
  • Family members where they have been appointed Deputy or Attorney for elderly, infirm or handicapped relative who has been taken into care
  • Local Authorities with the responsibility for property, where an elderly, infirm or handicapped home owner has been taken into care

Designed with Unoccupied Properties in mind

Some insurers put in place a number of stringent conditions which must be enforced before they will provide cover. Our solution is wholly focused on insuring empty properties, offering a product without unnecessary terms to comply with, in most cases, removing the need for continual visits to the property (in most cases). 

We understand that it’s not always possible to carry out weekly property inspections or indeed practical to switch off all utilities and drain down heating systems. We therefore try to reduce the need for these conditions as much as possible and in most cases; there isn’t a need for inspections to take place. 

However, if you can comply with these terms we’ll discount your premium, offering possibly the most flexible and unique solution available for the cover you need.

Specifically tailored to insure unoccupied properties

Our unoccupied property insurance caters for most types of property whether it’s a residential home, small commercial property or just land you need to insure, we could help.

We also understand the varied types of properties you may need to find insurance for so we look to accommodate many types of construction even where it is considered as non-standard including timber framed properties, pre-fabricated homes and mobile homes.

We are able to cover properties up to a rebuild value of £1,000,000 however upon referral we are able to insure properties of much higher value than this.

If you need to insure contents this is also possible as we are able to insure contents left within the property up to the value of £100,000.

Flexible Durations

In most cases an unoccupied property is likely to be sold, in which case, an annual contract to insure the property wouldn’t be suitable. That’s why we offer our insurance for one, three, six or nine months as well as 12 months – allowing you to choose the duration of cover that suits you best.  

PIB Unoccupied Property insurance as a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 310419 | 68 Lombard Street, London, EC3V 9LJ.

Please note the regulatory statement above takes precedent over that shown below. For 'Terms and Conditions' click here.

PIB Unoccupied Property