Guidance about Green Cards and driving in Europe

Guidance about Green Cards and driving in Europe

Guidance about Green Cards and driving in Europe

Back to news

Guidance about Green Cards and driving in Europe

Green Cards
As a consequence of leaving the European Economic Area (EEA) the UK entered a transition period which ended on 31st December 2020. Whilst a deal was reached between the UK and the EU as things currently stand, UK drivers and motorcyclists will no longer enjoy the benefits of access to the free circulation zone. This means that until further notice there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card (for each and every vehicle) when driving in Europe.

Planning a trip abroad
If you own a UK registered vehicle and plan to drive it in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland, we wanted to let you know that we can help you prepare for this scenario if you (or a member of your family / employee who is driving one of the vehicles covered under your insurance policy) are planning a trip in the EU.

As the timescales of producing a physical green card varies between insurers, we would always recommend you contact us as early as possible and at least 2 weeks before you travel.

What does it mean for you?

At present, your motor insurance policy allows you to drive within the EEA. This cover will not change, but with effect from 1st January 2021 motorists must now carry documentation known as a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card provides evidence of insurance to drive in the countries specified on the card itself. A physical Green Card is required as digital copies are not currently accepted. If motorists arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

How do I get a Green Card?
Ask us! This will allow us to contact your insurers and arrange for them to issue you with a Green Card.

It is worth noting that for the majority of clients each trip will need a separate Green Card.

If you have fleet insurance, you will now need to obtain multiple green cards rather than relying on the previous annual blanket cover and if your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan (over 750kgs or braked) you will need separate Green Cards for these too.

For further information regarding the new rules around Green Cards please visit Motor Insurance Database (MID).

In other news, one of our insurer partners, QBE, have issued guidance around safety concerns with a number of Ford Transit models catching fire in the cab. Read the full story here.

Should you have any questions or queries about your insurance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.